Have you ever heard of the saying “We can not direct the wind but we can adjust the sails”? Well in my opinion you can do just that, by reading great books, books that will enrich you with life transforming information. In an earlier post I was suggesting that you read and read more if you want to stand out of the crowd. In today’s post I would like to make some suggestions on books to read, books that can transform your life for the better. The list that I am giving here is by no means exhaustive, it is just a list of books that have influenced my life in a very, very positive way.
1. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. Starting out with this one makes a lot of sense, in that it teaches you right from the get go the notion of Definiteness of Purpose without which you might end up as a wandering generality. In this book, Dr Hill devoted 20 years of his life to interviewing 500 hundred of the most successful people in America and came up with 13 success principles that were common for them. Those principles are absolutely and most definitely necessary for your success.
2. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. We all know that success comes thru the support of others. Well this book will teach how to get anything you want from anybody, how to make people like you and how to build relationships that will last a lifetime. Whether you are newly wed or have been married for half a century, this book can put a lot of life back into your marriage. This is a kind of book that can help you improve every area of your life.
3. The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz. The only reason people think small is that they do not believe in themselves enough. If you believe that God made you in His own image, then you have to know that you have greatness in you. So why not set high goals and exceed them. May be you do not know how! Dr, Schwartz has great tips for you. In The Magic of Thinking Big you will learn how “build confidence and destroy fear”, “how to think and dream creatively”, “how to make your attitudes your allies”, “how to think like a leader” but best of all how to turn defeat into victory.
4. As a Man Thinketh by James Allen. A great Sage once said the following words: “Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Watch your words, for they become actions. Watch your actions, for they become habits. Watch your habits, for they become character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.” This book will show you that “Men do not attract what they want, but what they are”; that, what we focus on expands and becomes our reality.
5. The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson. By no means is this book the least important nor is it the least of my favorites. I had last on this short list for a good reason. Once you have read the previous books and gain all that good knowledge and life-transforming information, The slight Edge will help you put them in practice. I cannot praise this book enough and I can safely say that it will put everything in perspective for you. You will discover that everything you need to make it, or better yet, to live the life of your dreams is already within you. It is just like a diamond in you waiting to be cut and polish.
This is a very short list to get you started, chances are, if you are following this blog, you’ve certainly read them all, so this will be just a reminder. However if you haven’t, don’t wait another second, your success is too important to be left to luck. Take charge of life and adjust your own “sails” it is not too late.